I do own the Marklin Hogwarts Express, aka the Harry Potter train. (which is actually a Hornby set, but who cares) Because the coaches were to far apart, I decided to put Ribu shortcouplings underneath it, do minimize the distance between the coaches. What follows here, is a short tutorial, with pictures of every step I made.

000_hogwarts_ombouw_1
This is how the standard coupling looks like ! Way to much space between the coaches ! Plain ugly, and unrealistic !

000_hogwarts_ombouw_2
You can see the problem, the couplings are not on the coach, but on the wheel-base. The need to have such a large space between the coaches, because otherwise, the cars would de-rail in curves.

000_hogwarts_ombouw_3
Coach and wheel-base already separated …

02
First of all, different from most Marklin coaches, there are 2 screws in the bottom, that you need to take out.

03
You also need to push-in those brackets on the front end end of the coach, located in the whole in the top of the door-panel.

04
After this, you can take the coach full apart.

06
Take away the outer wheels, and the coupling-connector.

07
Cut off the T-piece between the middel of the wheel-base and where the coupling-connector was.

08
The Ribu-package contains 2 shortcouplings (one for the front and one for the end of the coach, offcourse)

09
Don’t forget to put some lubricant (I use oil) inside the ripu-coupling, before assembling it !

10
Next, put the ribu-coupling at it’s destination-location, and mark it ! (follow the guidelines in the ribu-assembly-guide.)

11
Then, cut off the borders of the coach-chasis, with a dremel. (so, the Ribu-coupling can fit in this space)

12
Next, cut a slot (with a dremel), close to the end of the car. This is where the moving-part of the Ribu-coupling will fit trough the bottom of the coach.

13
Glue the Ribu-coupling in place (with superglue), and let it dry for a few minutes. (Make sure that no glue touches the moving parts of the Ribu-coupling)

14
This is how it looks from underneath 😉

15
and everything assembled together … (only a coupling itself needs to be fitted in)

I don’t have pictures of the finished assembly yet, because I’m also in the progress of putting interior-lighting inside these coaches. (and also some red end-lighting, an a marklin “shoe” for the middelrail and a copper spring for the outer rails, to get some “power” for the lights) So, this tutorial will be continued shortly, with more pictures …

0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. We use cookies for content and advertisement, to offer functions for social media and to analyse our website traffic. We share this information with our partners for social media, advertisement and analyses.

Close